Histories, Mysteries, and Tales of the American Sailor
Welcome to the National Museum of the American Sailor’s official blog, sponsored by the Naval History and Heritage Command. Sailor’s Attic is a place for us to share stories, discoveries, and quirks from the museum and the Navy. With our weekly postings, we bring you unique insight that you can’t find anywhere else. Sign up to get our updates delivered straight to your inbox.
So, who are we? We’re The National Museum of the American Sailor (formerly the Great Lakes Naval Museum). We collect, preserve, and interpret the history of the United States Navy’s Sailor for the benefit of the U.S. Navy and the people of the United States. We’re located in the historic Hostess House, directly adjacent to the Main Gate of Naval Station Great Lakes, the home of the Navy’s only boot camp. The museum is an official Department of the Navy museum administered by the Naval History and Heritage Command. For information, including hours of operation and upcoming events, please visit the museum’s website or Facebook page.
A few notes:
- As this blog is a public forum, we request that all comments and wall posts please be kept civil and respectful.
- We do not allow graphic, obscene, explicit or racist comments or submissions nor do we allow comments that are abusive, hateful or intended to defame anyone or any organizations.
- We do not allow solicitations or advertisements. This material includes the promotion or endorsement of any financial, commercial or non-governmental agency. Similarly we do not allow attempts to defame or defraud any financial commercial or non-governmental agency.
- We do not allow comments that suggest or encourage illegal activity.
- Apparent spam will be removed and may cause the author to be blocked from the page without notice.
- By participating in this blog, you participate at your own risk. Users take personal responsibility for their comments, their username, and any information provided.
- For Official Use Only (FOUO), classified, pre-decisional or proprietary or business-sensitive information should not be posed here. Do not post material such as personnel lists, class rosters, organizational charts, or directories as this is a violation of privacy.
- The appearance of external links on this site does not constitute official endorsement on behalf of the U.S. Navy or the Department of Defense.
- You are encouraged to quote, republish or share any content on this page on your own blog, website or in other communications/publications. If you do, however, please credit the person who authored the content as a courtesy. Photography bylines can be “United States Navy.”
- For more information, please visit the Department of Defense Social Media User Agreement at: http://www.defense.gov/socialmedia/user-agreement.aspx